No wireless networks showing in Windows 7 64-bit

I have tried 2 different network cards in my Windows 7 (64-bit) PC. The latest card is the D-Link DWA-510 and is listed as compatible. The Device Manager states that the card is correctly installed, but no wireless networks show up and if I try to add them the system tells me that an unexpected error occurred.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution?

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and also swapped the card for a new one, but no change in the results.

Thanks,

L

Answer
Answer

I have experienced this exact problem that the Wireless adapter is enabled and appears ok but no Wireless Networks are listed and it is not possible to connect to a Wireless Network Manually as an unexpected error is returned.

The laptop in question for me was a Sony Vao with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, all fixes listed on the forums that I tried failed,

On looking deeper into this issue I found that AVG free had installed a Network Filter on all adapters installed on this system I do not think this was the root cause of the issue but I unchecked the AVG network filter driver, then uninstalled Client for Microsoft Networking as this appeared to me to be more of a Microsoft issue.

The system was restarted and then Client for Microsoft Networks was re-installed and then the system restarted again as soon as the system loaded Wireless Networks were available again from the Network icon in the system tray, the required wireless network was reconfigured and then the AVG network filter drive was checked again after a further restart to check all was working ok and the system was connecting to the Wireless network with no further issues.

Hope this helps someone.

For anyone who is not sure where to find Client for Microsoft Networks follow the steps below:

Click the Network icon in the system tray > Click "Open Network and Sharing Center" > Click "Change Adapter Settings" > Right Click your Wireless Adapter icon and select Properties > the “Client for Microsoft Networks” should be already highlighted click “Uninstall”. Repeat this process but select "Install" > Client > Add > Client for Microsoft Networking.

419 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 10, 2024 Views 152,238 Applies to: